As we all know, nobody is the same or possesses the same skills, habits, traits, etc. Everyone is different in their own way. We all react to things differently; we behave differently in different situations. The same is the various job positions in any organization. Every job position requires different skills to perform a particular job. So many efforts are being made by the organization to select the right candidate for the right job. But sometimes it becomes difficult to choose the right one or the requirement of skill changes over a period of time. In this situation, skill gap analysis plays a very important.
Not all organizations are aware of this concept and they still keep on doing the same things and following the same trends. But every organization needs to know about the importance of skill gap analysis. For this purpose, you must know what skill gap analysis is. As we know every employee is different in all the terms but this differentiation should be known and be used in the right direction to achieve the various tasks of an organization. This is a three-step process that will help you in analyzing the gap.
The steps are as follows:
- Assessing the required skills for a job: You need to assess the skills which are essential to perform any job. There are so many skills or requirements of a particular job. One job may require an introvert person and the other may need an extrovert person. Skill analysis is important to know the various skills which are required for a job.
- Assessing current skills: The current skills of an individual play a very important role in this assessment. You need to understand and observe all the current skills that an employee is having. Because you need to build a gap between the current skills and required skills in an employee.
- Finding out the gaps: Now, in order to find out the training needs, you need to undertake skill gap analysis. At this stage, you will identify the various gaps that are present in between current and required skills. Those gaps should be removed with the help of training.
Sometimes the candidate can work with the guidance and even there are some situations when the candidates cannot even work under the guidance of anyone. In this situation, we have to make the candidate independent by providing training to him or her for the required skills. The organization needs to invest in the right skills for a particular candidate. The skill gap analysis will be different for each employee. There can be some important reasons to conduct the skill gap analysis in your organization. You must be aware of those reasons before conducting the skill gap analysis. Some of the reasons are discussed as follows:
- For further planning: Many organizations just forget about the skill gap analysis and just keep the things going in the same form. But skill gap analysis is very important for every business planning. For further planning relating to workforce, training, promotion, demotion, etc you need to conduct this. You can only achieve the objectives of your business if you are really careful about the skills of your employees.
- To know in detail about your organization: There are so many employees working in the organization with diverse needs and skills. As an owner of the organization, you should be aware of every detail of your organization. You can even know about the training needs with the help of skill gap analysis. Because if some employees lack the skills that are required to perform their job then you must put efforts to train them and build up those skills in them to cover the gap.
- Building your recruitment strategy: The recruitment strategy is also one of the important strategies of every business. The recruitment strategy can be developed after keeping in mind so many things. With the help of skill gap analysis, the effectiveness of employee training can also be known. It can be known from the skill gap analysis that whatever training you are giving to your candidate is working well for their skills or not. The training is always to learn something new but focusing only on training is not enough. You have to keep full track of its effectiveness too.
- To increase productivity: The productivity of employees will have a direct impact on the productivity of business operations. Sometimes you have to focus more on the skills of the individual to enhance productivity. If the employee is not possessing the right skills their productivity cannot be enhanced and vice versa. So, this is one of the reasons why skill gap analysis is considered as an important concept.
- To meet the competition: The competition never stops in any field, it just keeps on increasing. But to meet that increasing completion you have to make some special efforts. Those special efforts take you to the skill gap analysis. You must know that is there any gap between the required skills or the current skills of the employees of your organization if yes then work on it to get over it.
So, these are the following reasons why the skill gap analysis is considered important for every organization. But this is not sufficient, you must know that how can you conduct this analysis. Earlier only traditional methods were used for this purpose but now the digital platforms are available for the organizations. Mettl is the best service provider in this regard that offers the best tools for this purpose. Some of the tools offered by them for the skill gap analysis are as follows:
- A platform based on roles
- Use of coding simulators
- Different feedback tool including a 360-degree tool
- Assessment battery and so on.
So, these are the following tools that are helpful for the business to conduct a skills gap analysis for their employee using an online platform. It will result in more accuracy with fewer chances of errors.